Thursday, January 3, 2008

Quick and Easy Weekday Pasta

One thing I learned in Italy is that sometimes the simplest recipes can be the tastiest. So one night in attempt to whip something up with pantry remnants, I came up with this simple pasta. My family likes it so much that my mom made me teach her how to make it and my brother requested it on his birthday.

15oz can of diced Roma tomatoes
15oz can of Italian seasoned Roma tomatoes
3 shallots, minced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
extra virgin olive oil
1+cup good red wine, I recently had success with a Barossa Grenache blend
salt and pepper to taste
spaghetti rigate-ridged spaghetti noodles

Swirl your olive oil twice around the pan and heat. Add the minced shallot and garlic, saute until tender. Next add the can of Roma tomatoes followed by half the can of the seasoned Roma tomatoes, let simmer. Add the wine and bring to a boil. After it reaches a boil, turn the heat down, allowing the sauce to simmer and the flavors to come together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In the mean time boil your noodles in salted water. When the noodles are al dente, drain and toss into the sauce. Serve immediately.

*Note, everything in this pasta can be adjusted to taste

No comments: