Monday, January 14, 2008

On the Radar

Everything I'm loving in January...


Food
I find something so comforting about a tiny restaurant in cold weather. It becomes an escape, a place to shrug off your coat and get down to some serious eating. I can't wait to do just that at Table 52, Art Smith's new Southern infused restaurant. The chef, of Oprah fame, personally welcomes guests into his thirteen table dining room and serves up a mean slice of Hummingbird Cake. Trying to get a seat can be difficult, so it would be best to make reservations weeks ahead of time. If that sounds like too much of a wait, you could always try your luck with one of the first come first serve bar seats or head upstairs to Teaspoon, a tearoom serving tarts and savories with afternoon tea. Table 52. 52 W Elm St Chicago, IL 60610. (312) 573-4000


Drink
Normally "Drink" sections are focused on harder beverages, but with January being National Tea Month it seems appropriate to devote this section to this delightful and relaxing drink. If Chicago happens to by in your backyard, Vong's Thai Kitchen is celebrating through January 31 with Make Your Own Tea Tuesdays (5:30-10pm) and High Tea Saturdays (1-4pm). I can't wait to drop by and make my own blend, perhaps I'll try to concoct a remedy for my boyfriend's never-ending cold and sinus troubles. Vong's Thai Kitchen. 6 W Hubbard Street Chicago, IL 60610. (312) 644-8664



Entertainment
Winner of the Palme d'Or this year at Cannes, 4 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days comes to theaters on January 25th. This Romanian film follows the story of Otilia (Anamaria Marinca) and Găbiţa (Laura Vasiliu), two university roommates who try to arrange an illegal abortion in the last years of the Ceauşescu regime. Needless to say this film is not uplifting, but it's supposed to be artfully filmed and superbly acted.


Fashion
January, I'm sorry to admit it, is one of those months where fashion seems to go into hibernation. The party frocks of December are left behind and the breezy ease of spring fashion is still months off. Call it my security blanket, but a cashmere cardigan just seems so appropriate for the coming months. Cardigans have a certain casual elegance that can elevate even the most basic of ensembles, and if they're done in cashmere, well, even better. That's why I'm ready to purchase Vince's Long Cashmere Cardigan. At $290 it's not the cheapest of purchases, but it's one that will surely last through January and become a lovely staple in any woman's wardrobe.


Books
Call it connecting to my homebody self, but lately I've found myself drawn to cookbooks. Currently I'm working my way through the reprint of Simon Hopkinson's Roast Chicken and Other Stories. Focusing on simple, but delicious recipes, this cookbook is the ideal pairing for the coming lazy winter months.

No comments: