Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Square cut or pear shaped...


Ever since the Tiffany silver craze, I appreciate unique jewelry. That's not to say I'm all about macaroni necklaces or wearable sculpture; I just enjoy pieces that feel special and individualized. I found just that at GEM, a Bucktown jewelry boutique that creates in-studio pieces and features both local and international artists. Walking into the well-edited store, I can imagine wearing almost every piece there, from one-of-a-kind pink tourmaline and diamond earrings that look like Indian heirlooms to the simple gold and gemstone stacking rings. I’m immediately drawn to a beautiful agate necklace with a delicate beaded chain. It manages to be both elegant and organic, and I can’t help thinking what a distinctive staple piece it would make. Perhaps the best thing about GEM is that the pieces are affordable! That’s not to say that things can’t venture into the thousands, but it is nice to know that a fantastic black diamond stacking ring is only $200 away.

GEM
1710 North Damen Ave.
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 384-7700
www.gemjewelryboutique.com

No comments: