Wednesday, September 12, 2007

There's something about autumn...


While most people are trying to extract the last few rays of sunshine out of summer, I eagerly await the first day of fall. I love how almost overnight green trees have become bursts of scarlet and ochre. I can't wait to pull on a pair of equestrian boots and a cashmere sweater and trek through an apple orchard; and perhaps, oddly, I long for the days when I'd traipse down the aisles of Office Max in search of the biggest box of Crayolas. While the days of school sanctioned supply lists are long gone, the Crayola urge is still there, perhaps just redirected. This time of year I always find myself perusing the aisles of local bookstores. If you're like me, nothing says fall like a new book. Here are some recommendations for fall reading, some I've read and others that are on my short list. Curl up with a glass of mulled apple cider and start reading!

The Hours, Michael Cunningham- a beautifully written, intelligent story that is seamlessly and thoughtfully woven together
Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides- just read it!
Feast of Love, Charles Baxter
Shade, Neil Jordan
I Sailed with Magellan, Stuart Dybek- the writing has a very poetic, lyrical quality to it
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov- just started this one and already an interesting study of narration
The Turn of the Screw, Henry James- a ghost story/tale of psychological ambiguity
Anna Karenina, Leo. Tolstoy
Paris Stories, Mavis Gallant
A Moveable Feast, Ernest Hemingway
Love in the time of Cholera, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Atonement, Ian McEwan
Blue Angel, Francine Prose
The Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri- a perfect collection of short stories that makes me insanely jealous of Lahiri’s skills
Persuasion, Jane Austen
A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens- curious if I'll enjoy it as much as I did in high school
The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova- a reworking of the Dracula myth and a guilty pleasure perfect for fall
The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay, Michael Chabon

No comments: